Freedom from Facebook – Freedom to create is a powerful and thought provoking conversation I have with my husband, Mac, also known as the Life Not Likes web designer and all round creative genius of the community.
Discover why Mac went to social media in the first place, what he used it for, the amount of time he spent on it and the impact it had on business. Plus we also discuss how Facebook has changed over the years, the possible (non) future of the platform and an insight into why he decided to leave Facebook for his own sanity and creativity.
“You can argue that facebook is free but it depends how you value your time”
We talk about what it feels like to go from the initial joy and dopamine hit of receiving likes to the repetitive behaviour of checking and refreshing, how much of our time gets wasted as we’re sucked in to getting lost in a scroll hole, how social media can affect your whole day, and of course, your mental health and how it creeps up on you.
My husband also shares his tips on what to do if you’re thinking of leaving Facebook, or any social media platform for that matter.
In this episode
- As with many people, discover why Mac, doesn’t like how the algorithms determine who sees the content he created and one of the reasons why he became disillusioned.
- Why Mac has always believed that creating content for your own platform is the most important thing you can do for your business, not just for now but in the future.
- Why social media seems to be pointless for him, even with a huge number of followers and how your numbers mean very little and how they can actually work against you, despite this.
- Mac explains why it’s not your fault if you do get sucked in and are struggling and why staying in your own lane and doing your own thing makes you stand out (and why that matters!)
- We discuss other marketing techniques are way more profitable that using social media and why spending your time doing the thing that you enjoy is the most beneficial thing you can do for yourself and your business.
- My husband shares how freedom from Facebook creates the space to do things your way, and the benefits of talking to other people not on social media to help you come to your own decisions
- We talk about how to use the time you would have spent on the socials for other powerful marketing activities and just how much simpler life is now that the pressure to be on social media all the time has gone.
Links for more support
- Life Not Likes Community
- My interview with Leonie Dawson, a 7 figure business owner no longer on social media
- K90 Overland [Overlanding without social media/why we quit Instagram]
I truly hope you enjoyed our conversation, please leave a comment below and let us know your biggest takeaway. Don’t forget, if you need more support with any aspect of running a business without social media and want to join a supportive community of like minded people doing just that, then come and join us in the Like Not Likes Membership community.